November 25, 2010

Mr. President! Why are you silent? A female student seeks justice

By Nasira Parveen

TODAY is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. Like other parts of the world, Pakistan also celebrates this day but the status of women in our country has not changed since long. Is our democratically elected government really caring for the 51 percent population of this country? When I look at my life, the answer is: No.

If you have read my previous blogs, you may be aware of my dilemma. A group of racist and sectarian bent of mind people tried to kill me at the Karakoram International University (KIU) in Gilgit to take revenge on my elder brother. When failed to kill me, they forcefully stopped me from attending classes and kicked me out of the hostel. I along with my family members have come across a series of violent events.

I’ve written to Mr. Asif Ali Zardari, President of Pakistan and Chancellor of the KIU, but there is no response for the last eight months. The human rights bodies are criminally silent as well. I had spent over three years in the hostel and was near to complete my four-year BSc (Hons) but the criminals and enemies of education on campus changed my life. Since then I’m struggling hard for my rights in this Islamic Republic.

Sometimes, I feel as if I’ve abruptly become a domestic worker from a university student—but then I see that I’m doing almost equal work at home. My brothers treat me like an equal and help me in the kitchen. One of my friends recently said: “You are very strong, facing such a desperate situation and still fighting hard for your rights. I don't think any woman can do so in our society.”

That’s what I have been taught at home! I can't commit suicide like other victims of violence in Pakistan. I can’t beg the “human rights mafia” either while others seem afraid of the powerful accused. Mr. President! Why are you silent? A student seeks justice. 

RELATED BLOGS

4 comments:

  1. Nasira u are addressing to an absolutely a wrong person. He is busy enjoying Pakisatn and u r disturbing him!? You know what a deaf ear is . Yes u know it now. Instead approach ur own governor/ who-calls -the shot
    Wish you the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlike other provinces where the governors are chancellors of the provincial universities, in Gilgit-Baltistan, the President of Pakistan is the Chancellor of the Karakoram International University.

    The governor says he has no rule in the university affairs. The notorious Vice-Chancellor, Dr Najma Najam, says she is answerable to President Zardari only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep fighting, never give up, never beg from mafia, not even from this cruel democratic parliament and its Head.

    You'll be much prior and respectable in your own eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our FB comments on this blog

    1- Farrah said:

    Nasira like this post .Woman of Pakistan is vulnerable. Everything is fine if God keeps it fine and if one land in trouble one is alone with no way out.

    The double standards of Pakistan society are a dilema ,you are a sister you are a wife we honour you just shut up and sit at home. They respect the mothers of Shaheed's as if rest are lesser mothers.

    To be a woman in Pakistan is difficult all one has to do to spoil a woman's life is to publish a scandle.

    If you are unhappy in marriage, you have some outside relationshp?

    To change this we have to change the attitude of boys and men.

    I guess the answer is if women start training their sons how to treat a woman will be a good start.

    2- Admin said:

    ‎"One thing bothers me a lot. Being a female vice-chancellor, why Dr Najma Najam with Prof Salma Durrani, her closest friend on campus, put my life in danger? I’m ashamed when I see them in the media advocating for the rights of women. I'm ashamed to call them women! Anybody can hire their services to destroy someone’s life or carrier. They’re evils on campus, and enemies of students and our education system," Nasira said in her blog on July 6, 2010
    http://theterrorland.blogspot.com/2010/07/mr-president-i-need-justice-in-islamic.html

    In another blog on July 17, 2010 she said: "Being a woman in our male-dominated society is really a very painful experience! And those women, who try to act like those brutal men, are a shame for humanity."
    http://theterrorland.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-escaped-death-but-she-was-killed.htmlSee

    3- Ghulam said:

    @Farrah, I agree with you. In our society women face difficulties at workplace and even their domestic life remains tearful. You are right, women should start training their sons to treat woman with respect at home and outside.

    4- Admin said:

    @Ghulam, Thanks for the comment.

    @Farrah, The ruling class in our country, civil & military, only care for itself and its family members... those who call the shots today in our country want to keep their jobs by hook or by crook... hell with rest of the population and the so-called national interests... they've no respect for the mothers of a Shaheed (martyred) even... it's just a political slogan like religion and other things in our country... Nasira and her family's example has exposed both the government and establishment in our country.

    A novel can't do the life of a writer and his family this much miserable as it has done to Habib Sulemani and his family in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

    Pls read this blog for further details -- Pakistan: swinging between extremism & liberalism: http://theterrorland.blogspot.com/2010/08/pakistan-swinging-between-extremism.html

    ReplyDelete