|Baba Jan addressing a peaceful protest in Hunza. (via Google)|
Here are two video messages (sent by some youth) by Mr. Jan, recorded before his arrest. It appears that Mr. Jan has done nothing against the state but is seeking the basic right: freedom of expression plus right to peaceful protest in the once legendary peaceful region.
"Instead of arresting the policemen who shot dead two displaced persons from the landslide-hit Gojal region, the government is arresting innocent citizens, which is like playing with fire," said Ali Bagoro, a student from Gilgit.
"All political prisoners should be released immediately and the Pakistani government should grant constitutional rights to the region," said M. Ilyas. "Gilgit-Baltistan is not part of Kashmir, it should be constitutionally the Fifth Province of Pakistan. That is what we want!"
Baba Jan's message to the youth
The song of Baba Jan's group
Related must-read articles
- Gilgit-Baltistan – The Orphaned Land of Pakistan
- Cyber Age challenges & Ismaili Muslims
- Returning home as dead bodies (A poem for poor Sheru and his young son killed by police in Hunza)
- Tribalism — Aga Khan's pluralism under threat in Gilgit-Baltistan
- Hunza in crises
- Gojal & Liu Xiaobo — China encroaching on Pakistani land ?
- Tribalism — a wild wish to make Hunza utopia of the world!
- I fear no one on earth, says ISI official
- ISI involved in "honor-killing" incidents
- I escaped death but she was killed
- ISI scandalizes mental condition & female relatives of critics